Tuesday, September 18, 2012

# 4: Discovering New Views

I never really have given much thought to the idea of politics or whether I believe in politics up until this class. The idea of splitting people up according to different parties is believed to be harmful to the country as a whole. The United States idea of equality was a major problem for our country from woman's rights to race disputes. Could politics create a dispute like this? I managed to get past this anti politics idea after I completed the political compass test we were required to do in class.  I had fun with the fact that no one's answers matched up to what my views were.  This was interesting and made me realize how important it is to have different political parties.  This comes back to the whole freedom of speech concept.  Everyone is entitled their own opinion.
My dot landed smack dab in the middle of the four quadrants.  This isn't uncommon for someone my age, it just means I am confused on what exactly I believe.  Usually these characteristics begin to develop slowly over time.  Some developing beliefs early.  Others needing time and proper persuasion in order to figure out where they belong.  After seeing how torn I was in the world of politics, I decided to look into the ideas behind each political party.
I quickly noticed I favored the conservative party or in other words the Republican party. Although growing up with a dad as a republican plays a part in me making this decision, that is not exactly why I favored this particular party.  Just the fact that I haven't been subjected to believing in a certain party is an example of being a conservative.  This party was initially founded by anti-slavery activists on the belief of individual responsibility, consumer owned free market, and keeping traditional views and values.  I demonstrate these views by being strict when it comes to accepting change without being heavily educated on the issue.  With something so simple as the way people dress to the big argument of marijuana legalization. There is only time out there and things are good the way they are so why change them?

No comments:

Post a Comment